The advances in diagnosis and management outlined in this guide have transformed expectations in what was once an incurable and stigmatising condition. With the support of a committed multidisciplinary team, the Carbon Addict can now achieve almost complete recovery and may look forward to a healthy and rewarding future.
What will a low carbon community be like?
- Quality of life is the new status symbol.
- We will each have a personal carbon allowance, stored on a plastic card, which we will choose to use carefully for selected carbon-consuming activities (operating within national and international carbon cap and trade schemes).
- Environmentally-derived natural resources will all be priced at a realistic level, i.e. much higher than now, which will radically reduce consumption of material goods. More with less...
- There will be no petrol driven cars – all private vehicles will be renewably powered or zero emission; the motorways will be closed to cars – fleets of coaches will take people from city to city.
- The road building programme will be converted into a massive public transport expansion programme.
- Several airports will close or their traffic will be substantially reduced.
- Urban residential areas will be closed to car traffic and people will get around on foot, by bike, or by bus.
- Children will all go to school by bus, bike or on foot.
- All houses will be carbon-neutral, retro-fitted with a package of insulation and technology – all suitable houses will have micro-generation, and there will be solar panels around local community sites.
- Fuel poverty and its associated morbidity and mortality will be a thing of the past.
- All houses will have visual displays giving information on carbon consumption.
- There will be very little flying – perhaps a trip as a retirement present or a 21st birthday present.
- Holidays will mainly be taken locally, giving time for arts and crafts, horticulture etc.
- There will be much more emphasis on local activities and community interactive events.
- The obesity epidemic will be a thing of the past. People will be fitter, healthier and happier.